Pages

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

I Can Get as Excited as a Child or Once an Adult, Twice a Child! (As the Saying Goes)

The week has seemed to fly by. Monday was get it (almost) free day, so I motored up to the mall to get three free (almost free) items.  There was a spot close to the door I normally enter the mall from.  I try to stay around the same area when I park because I have been known to spend a few minutes searching for my car when I'm leaving the mall.

The first stop was to grab a pair of undies from Victoria's Secret.  Since they were not the ones I wear, they'll  go into a stocking as a Christmas gift.  Those days, for me, are gone.  The cotton high rise are now my speed! 

I went into Bath and Body Works to pick up the full size body wash  with the intent of purchasing a one dollar emery board.  This strategy changed the minute I focused in on a new Christmas fragrance With the word peppermint on the tube.  So a $5.00 purchase grabbed me an 8.00 free item. The free item is also going in (another) stocking as a Christmas gift. 

My last stop was at Penney's with a $10.00 off $10.00 coupon in hand.  I was not going to waste this one, even if I had to pay out of pocket a few dollars.  I found the most whimsical snow man night light for the powder room.  This is the facility the grandkids use when they come to visit.  I though it would bring a bit of joy to the small room. The original price was 24.99, but it was fifty percent off.  So about $12.50.  I had the $10.00 off $10.00 coupon so I paid $2.50 out of pocket plus tax.

It was a satisfying trip.  And, I easily located my vehicle when I was ready to leave.


I also received my free 10 pounds of flour and 1 pound of baking soda in the mail on Monday.

Also satisfying.  I didn't even have to locate my vehicle as it was in the drive way when the package arrived,


My almost freebies I got with coupons sent in the mail.  Don't you just love the bobble head snowman?

I currently use unbleached flour, so I need to see if this brand creates better tasting desserts.  I'll let you know when I begin to use it.


Yesterday I started making some of the food that is my responsibility for the Thanksgiving dinner.  We don't get fancy, but we like plenty of variety on the Thanksgiving table.  Like most people we have appetizers, the main meal, then dessert.  The food I'll bring is an apple pie made in a 9x13 pan, mashed potatoes, home made cheese ball, and jello for the kids.  The cheese ball is done and keeping well in the refrigerator.  The jello will be made tonight so it's firm by morning.  The pie will be made first thing in the morning so it's on the warm side when it's ready to be eaten,  I also purchased a couple of items from my grandson's school project so they will be added to the feast.

This is when I wish we could all be together, but that's impossible so I'll wait for the phone calls from my Northern family.

This morning was spent at one of the local military facilities renewing my military ID.  I'm the widow of a Navy man so I am compensated with being able to shop for items without paying tax on them.  I don't think I have to say that I preferred  my husband was with me to this benefit.

However, this is the first year since his passing that I have been truly excited for the holidays, mostly Christmas.  I feel like a little girl when I see so many things I think my grandchildren would like.  As an example, (It may be just me) I found a huge square box of Crayola crayons -with a sharpener- For two of the older grandkids.  The excitement was infectious as my daughter (who drove me to the facility) started laughing at me.  Our Christmas gifts are humble as we tend to focus on the reason for the season, but I can get excited even for the humble things. 

Have you started shopping yet?  Do you go to Black Friday sales?  What excites you about Christmas?

I hope that all my readers have a blessed Thanksgiving, where ever you may be.  God bless and stay safe.

Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment